ISBF Inclusion, Diversity, and Gender Equality Policy
The International Society for Biofabrication (ISBF) strives to achieve inclusivity, diversity, and gender balance in all aspects of our society’s activities. This fundamental principle will be practiced by promoting equal opportunities and diverse representation in all activities of our society. For example, the ISBF shall make every effort to achieve equal gender and geographical representations in all society positions, and conference: organizing committees, session chairs, plenary, keynote, and podium speakers.
The above policy, or similar, shall be displayed on the ISBF main website and every ISBF conference website.
ISBF Elections and Committee Appointments
The ISBF Executive Committee will seek nominations from the ISBF Board and ISBF membership that strive for ISBF Executive and Board positions with balanced gender, regional distribution, and member diversity, including individuals from academia, industry, and government. All ISBF Board and Committee members shall be familiar with the society’s diversity policy, stating that the constituents of the Board and Committees shall be regionally balanced, informed, and gender balanced.
Annual ISBF Conference Organization Recommendations
- The conference organizers shall make every effort to invite female speakers first. Once the target number of female speakers is secured, male speakers should be invited to achieve a 1:1 female-to-male speaker ratio.
- Early Career Researchers (those within 7yrs of obtaining their Ph.D.) shall be involved in all aspects of the conference, including participation in the organizing committee, session chairs, and invited speakers.
- The annual ISBF conference local organizing committee shall appoint a gender equity & diversity champion.
- At least one member of the ISBF executive committee shall be on the organizing committee.
- Consider Family-Friendly options (e.g., family room, financial support, social event schedules).
Every conference shall report back to the ISBF Executive Committee on the gender and regional diversity breakdown of the invited speakers, applicant speakers, and attendees.
ISBF is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, age, country of origin, or religion. The ISBF does not tolerate harassment of fellow members or conference participants in any form. The society members and conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the society and/or its annual conference.